Family Support

Support for Families

Families provide long-term love, care and support for their disabled relatives, and speak up for them. Even when people leave home, they do not leave the family. Families continue to offer a lifetime of involvement and support, and know a great deal about their relative’s needs and wishes, likes and dislikes.

When the services and support for a relative go wrong it can be very difficult for families to deal with. They may be faced with a barrage of information and decisions to take, as well as coming to terms with what has happened. It is important that families know where they can get impartial information, and find out what support is available to them. There is a list below of organisations which you may find useful.

It is important to note that family carers must be consulted and involved in key decisions about the care and support of a relative who is unable to make these decisions (unless you have specifically asked not to be involved). There is a proper legal process that must be followed, under the Mental Capacity Act 2005. For example, your relative cannot be moved to another service without involving you, and others who know your relative well, in the decision-making process.

For more information about this, see “Making Decisions: A guide for family, friends and other unpaid carers”; Copies available by phoning 0300 456 0300 or download from

Organisations Providing Independent Support

The Cornwall Family Information Service provides the only source of registered childcare in the County.  It also provides information to families with children and young people up to the age of 19 including holiday clubs, leisure activities, children’s centres and Parenting and Family Support.

You can phone them free on 0800 587 8191

Or visit their website by clicking here.

Ann Craft Trust: Provides advice to anyone who has a query about the protection of vulnerable children and adults, including professionals, parents, carers and family members.

Tel: 0115 9515400 (Mon-Thurs 9am -5pm , Fri 9am – 4.30pm ) or email:

The Challenging Behaviour Foundation: Provides telephone and email support from a

Family Support Worker on challenging behaviour associated with severe learning disabilities and related issues.

Tel. 0845 6027885 or


 Free information sheets and DVDs about good support for people who have a learning disability and behaviour described as challenging.

Disability Law Service: Provides telephone or email advice on community care law. Free to disabled people and their family carers. 

Tel: 020 7791 9800

Mencap Learning Disability Helpline: Provides advice and information on all issues relevant to people with learning disabilities and their families in England , Wales & Northern Ireland.  

Tel: 0808 808 1111